As part of the Ishaq lab’s commitment to open-access science, we support and regularly engage in public presentations of research and science. These include public lectures or informal presentations, workshops, K-12 and 4H education and workshops, as well as engaging with media outlets.
Public Talks and Presentations to general science, general public, and stakeholder audiences
Note, only those events with available recordings are listed here.
- Ishaq, S.L. “How to make a career out of poop”, Virginia Commonwealth University Biology Department seminar series (virtual), March 22, 2021.
- presented on my research and career path to 114 undergraduates, graduates, and faculty
- Ishaq, S.L. “A crash course in the gut microbiome” , University of Maine Medicine seminar series (virtual), Nov 6, 2020.
- pdf of slides with annotated comments: ishaq-ummed-gut-crash-course-20201106
- Ishaq, S.L. “Raising feedlot cattle with good microbes in mind” (“Cria y engorda de ganado con buenos microbios en mente”). XXII UANL-Engorda de Bovinos en Corral Symposium. Monterrey, Nuovo Leon, Mexico. October 1, 2019.
Media Interviews, Press
- “City compost programs turn garbage into ‘black gold’ that boosts food security and social justice.” Kristen DeAngelis, Gwynne Mhuireach, Sue Ishaq, The Conversation. June 11, 2020
- Picked up by various news agencies and UMaine news.
- “In Collecting Indigenous Feces, A Slew of Sticky Ethics.” Katherine Wu, Undark, Apr 06, 2020.
- ” UMaine prof: Inequity is creating a gut microbe gap.” Mike Tipping and Ben Chin, Maine People’s Alliance. Dec 20, 2019.
- “Women in Science – Implicit Bias“. Ida Hardin. Dec 13, 2019.
- “Inequity takes a toll on your gut microbes, too.” Sue Ishaq, The Conversation, Dec 4, 2019.
- Picked up various news agencies and UMaine news
- “All people have a right to healthy gut microbes.” Paige Jarreau and Signe Asberg, Lifeapps. Dec 3, 2019.
- “Rich People Have Access to Better Microbes Than Poor People, Researchers Say.” Becky Ferreira, Vice. Nov 26, 2019.
- “Microbiome is a Human Right.” Heather Smith, Sierra. Nov 26, 2019.
- “Life, liberty—and access to microbes?” Press release for Plos Biology. Nov 19, 2019.
- “Study finds season an important factor in soil microbe sampling.” Erin Miller, University of Maine. Nov 6, 2019.
- “cUriOus: Buildings Have Microbiomes, Too!” The Jefferson Exchange with Geoffrey Riley. Mar 8, 2019.
- ” The Great Indoors: Interior Ecology Under the Looking Glass.” Alex Notman, University of Oregon College of Design. Jan 14, 2019.
- ” We’re trying to help change people’s idea of what a scientist looks like.” KMTR, with Kelsey Christensen. Jul 6, 2018.