Research Assistant Professor of Microbial Ecology
B.Sc. Animal Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
2003 – 2007
Minor in Nutrition and Food Science
Research Assistant Professor of Microbial Ecology,
Biology and the Built Environment Center, University of Oregon, Eugene OR
June 2017 – present
Post Doctoral Research Associate,
Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman MT
May 2016 – May 2017
Dr. Fabian D. Menalled
Post Doctoral Research Associate,
Department of Animal and Range Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman MT
April 2015 – April 2016
Dr. Carl J. Yeoman
Department of Animal Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
July 2010 – March 2015
Anaerobic Culturing Apprenticeship,
University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Dr. Monica A. Sunset
- Animal care and experimentation
- Sample collection and processing
- DNA extraction
- PCR and quantitative real-time PCR
- Aerobic and anaerobic culturing, and biochemical assays
- Sequencing library prep and analysis
- Bioinformatics programs use and creation
- Grant and manuscript writing
- Teaching and curriculum development
- Personnel management
- BIOM 405: Host-associated microbiomes, Montana State University, Fall 2015, 2016
Post-doctoral research assistant, lab section (Fall 2015). Adjunct lecturer, lab section and team-taught class (Fall 2016)
- ASCI 141: Anatomy and physiology of domestic species, University of Vermont, Fall 2010, 2011, 2012
Graduate teaching assistant, lab section
- ASCI 110: Animal nutrition, metabolism and feeding, University of Vermont, Spring 2012
Graduate teaching assistant, lab section
- ASCI 171: Zoos, Exotics and Endangered Species, University of Vermont, Fall 2005
Undergraduate teaching assistant
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Invited to present poster at the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) Presidents’ Pick Poster Session during the ASAS Awards Ceremony, Kansas City, MO, July 2014
- Justin Morrill Honors Scholar, University of Vermont, Spring 2007
- Dean’s List, University of Vermont, Spring 2005, Spring 2006
- Presidential Scholarship, University of Vermont, 2003-2007
- University of Vermont Scholarship, 2003-2007
- Ecological Society of America (ESA), since 2017
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, since 2016
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM), since 2012
- American Society of Animal Science (ASAS), since 2011
- Green Mountain Chapter of Alpha Zeta, University of Vermont, since 2006
- Chemical Immobilization of Animals certification, Safe Capture International, October 2015 (expires October 2018)
- Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician certification (ALAT), American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, since 2009
- Child Advancement Project (CAP) mentor, Thrive, Bozeman, MT, September 2015 – May 2017
- Presented workshops on “Unlocking the Hidden World of Soil Bacteria” for Expanding Your Horizons for Girls, at Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, April 22, 2017
- Owner and Chief Editor of “Give Me the Short Version”, a Facebook page dedicated to presenting scientific articles to the general public in a short and easy to understand format. since July 2015
- Volunteer sample collector for the Gallatin Microplastics Initiative, Adventure Scientists (formerly Adventurers and Scientists for Conservation), 2015-2017
- Ad-hoc reviewing for scientific journals
- Ad-hoc reviewing for scientific conferences and panels (details upon request)
- Implicit Bias Working Group, University of Oregon.
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Non-Research Grant, 2017-2019, $125,000 (key personnel*).
Title: Biology and Built Environment (BioBE) Center.
Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Research Grant, 2017-2019, $1,325,000 (key personnel*).
Title: Biology and Built Environment (BioBE) Center.
*Edited grant proposal but did not write
USDA AFRI NIFA Pre-doctoral Fellowship Grant, 2013-2015, $79,000 (PI).
Project Title: Investigating the rumen bacteria of the North American moose (Alces alces) for the potential for improving efficiency of feed digestion in livestock.
- Betiku, O.C., Yeoman , C.J., Gaylord, T.G., Barrows, F.T., Ishaq, S.L., Duff , G.C., Mazurie, A., Bearden, D., and Sealey, W.M. Divided Nutritive Function of the Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Mid- and Hind-Gut Microbiomes. In review.
- Yeoman, C.J., Ishaq, S.L., Bichi , E., Olivo, S., Lowe, J., Aldridge, B.M. 2018. Biogeographical Differences in the Influence of Maternal Microbial Sources on the Early Successional Development of the Bovine Neonatal Gastrointestinal tract. Scientific Reports 8: 3197. Impact 4.259. Article.
- Seshadri, R., Leahy, S.C., Attwood, G.T., The, K.H., Lambie, S.C., Eloe-Fadrosh, E., Pavlopoulos, G., Hadjithomas, M., Varghese, N., Hungate1000 project collaborators, Perry, R., Henderson, G., Creevey, C.J., Terrapon, N., Lapebie, P., Drula, E., Lombard, V., Rubin, E., Kyrpides, N., Henrissat, B., Woyke, T., Ivanova, N., Kelly, W.J. 2018. A reference genome set for the ruminant microbiome. Accepted.
- Zeng, H., Ishaq, S.L., Liu, Z., Bukowski, M.R. 2017. Colonic aberrant crypt formation accompanies an increase of opportunistic pathogenic bacteria in C57BL/6 mice fed a high-fat diet. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. In press, doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2017.11.001. Impact 4.418. Article.
- Ishaq, S.L., AlZahal, O., Walker, N., McBride, B. 2017. An investigation into rumen fungal and protozoal diversity in three rumen fractions, during high-fiber or grain-induced sub-acute ruminal acidosis conditions, with or without active dry yeast supplementation. Frontiers in Microbiology. In press, doi:10.3389/fmicb.2017.01943. Impact 4.076. Article.
- Ishaq, S.L., Yeoman, C.J., Whitney, T.R. 2017. Ground Juniperus pinchotii and urea in supplements fed to Rambouillet ewe lambs. Part 2: Ewe lamb rumen microbial communities. Journal of Animal Science. In press, doi: doi:10.2527/jas.2017.1731. Impact 2.014. Article.
- Perea, K., Perz, K., Olivo, S., Williams, A., Lachman, M., Ishaq, S.L.,Thompson, J., Yeoman, C.J. 2017. Feed Efficiency Phenotypes Involve Changes In Ruminal, Colonic, And Small Intestine-Located Microbiota. Journal of Animal Science 95(6):2585-2592. Impact 2.014. Article.
- Ishaq, S.L., Johnson, S.P., Miller, Z.J., Lehnhoff, E.A., Olivo, S.K., Yeoman, C.J., Menalled, F.D. 2017. A living soil inoculum increases soil microbial diversity, crop and weed growth using soil from organic and conventional farms in northeastern Montana. Microbial Ecology 73(2): 417-434. Impact 3.630. Article
- Feng, W., Minor, D., Liu, M., Li, J., Ishaq, S.L., Yeoman, C., Lei, B. 2016. Null Mutations of Group A Streptococcus Orphan Kinase RocA: Selection in Mouse Infection and Comparison with CovS Mutations in Alteration of in vitro and in vivo Protease SpeB Expression and Virulence. Infection and Immunity: in press. Impact 3.731. Article.
- Zeng, H., Ishaq, S.L., Zhao, F-Q., Wright, A-D.G. 2016. Colonic inflammation accompanies an increase of b-catenin signaling Lachnospiraceae/Streptococcaceae in the hind-gut of high-fat diet-fed mice. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 25:30-36. Impact 4.518. Article
- Salgado-Flores, A., Hagen, L.H., Pope, P.B., Ishaq, L., Wright, A-D.G., Sundset, M.A. 2016. Intake of a lichen-based diet altered the rumen and cecum microbial profiles in Norwegian reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus). PLoS ONE 11(5). Impact 3.234. Article
- Ishaq, S.L., Kim, C.J., Reis, D., Wright, A-D.G. 2015. Fibrolytic bacteria isolated from the rumen of North American moose (Alces alces) and their potential as a probiotic for ruminants. PLoS One, 10(12). Impact 3.23. Article
- Henderson, G, F. Cox, S. Ganesh, A Jonker, W Young, L. Abecia, E. Angarita, P. Aravena, G.N. Arenas, C. Ariza, G.T. Attwood, J.M. Avila, J. Avila-Stagno, A. Bannink, R. Barahona, M. Batistotti, M.F. Bertelsen, A. Brown-Kav, A.M. Carvajal, L. Cersosimo, A.V. Chaves, J. Church, N. Clipson, M.A. Cobos-Peralta, A.L. Cookson, S. Cravero, O.C. Carballo, K. Crosley, G. Cruz, M.C. Cucchi, R. de la Barra, A.B. De Menezes, E. Detmann, K. Dieho, J. Dijkstra, W.L.S. dos Reis, M.E.R. Dugan, S.H. Ebrahimi, E. Eythórsdóttir, F.N. Fon, M. Fraga, F. Franco, C. Friedeman, N. Fukuma, D. Gagić, I. Gangnat, D.J. Grilli, L.L. Guan, V.H. Miri, E. Hernandez-Sanabria, A.X.I Gomez, O.A. Isah, S. Ishaq, E. Jami, J. Jelincic, J. Kantanen, W.J. Kelly, S.-H. Kim, A. Klieve, Y. Kobayashi, S. Koike, J. Kopecny, T.N. Kristensen, S.J. Krizsan, H. Lachance, M. Lachman, W.R. Lamberson, S. Lambie, J. Lassen, S.C. Leahy, S.-S. Lee, F. Leiber, E. Lewis, B. Lin, R. Lira, P. Lund, E. Macipe, L.L. Mamuad, H.C. Mantovani, G.A. Marcoppido, C. Marquez, C. Martin, G. Martinez, M.E. Martinez, O.L. Mayorga, T.A. McAllister, C. McSweeney, L. Mestre, E. Minnee, M. Mitsumori, I. Mizrahi, I. Molina, A. Muenger, C. Muñoz, B. Murovec, J. Newbold, V. Nsereko, M. O’Donovan, S. Okunade, B. O’Neill, S. Ospina, D. Ouwerkerk, D. Parra, L.G.R. Pereira, C. Pinares-Patiño, M. Poulsen, M. Rodehutscord, T. Rodriguez, K. Saito, F. Sales, C. Sauer, K. Shingfield, N. Shoji, J. Simunek, Z. Stojanović-Radić, B. Stres, X. Sun, J. Swartz, Z.L. Tan, I. Tapio, T.M. Taxis, N. Tomkins, E. Ungerfeld, R. Valizadeh, P. van Adrichem, J. van Hamme, W. van Hoven, G. Waghorn, R.J. Wallace, M. Wang, S.M. Waters, M. Witzig, A.D.G. Wright, H. Yamano, T. Yan, D.R Yañez-Ruiz, C.J. Yeoman, R. Zambrano, J. Zeitz, M. Zhou, H.W. Zhou, C.X. Zou, P. Zunino, & P.H. Janssen. 2015. Rumen microbial community composition varies with diet and host, but a core microbiome is found across a wide geographical range. Nature Scientific Reports 5:14567. Impact 5.58. Article
- Ishaq, S.L., Sundset, M.A., Crouse, J., Wright, A-D.G. 2015. High-throughput DNA sequencing of the moose rumen from different geographical location reveals a core ruminal methanogenic archaeal diversity and a differential ciliate protozoal diversity. Microbial Genetics, 2015(1). No Impact Factor yet. Article
- Pellegrini, Suzanne Ishaq, “A Comparative Analysis Of The Moose Rumen Microbiota And The Pursuit Of Improving Fibrolytic Systems.” (2015). Graduate College Dissertations and Theses. Paper 365. Dissertation
- Ishaq, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2014. Design and validation of four new primers for next-generation sequencing to target the 18S rRNA gene of gastrointestinal ciliate protozoa. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 80(17):5515-5521. Impact 3.67. Article
- Ishaq, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2014. High-throughput DNA sequencing of the ruminal bacteria from moose (Alces alces) in Vermont, Alaska, and Norway. Microbial Ecology, 68(2):185-195. Impact 2.97. Article
- Ishaq, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2012. Insight into the bacterial gut microbiome of the North American moose (Alces alces). BMC Microbiology, 12:212. Impact 2.73. Article
INVITED REVIEWS/BOOK CHAPTERS
- Ishaq, S.L. 2017. Plant-Bacteria Interactions in Agriculture and the Use of Farming Systems to Improve Diversity and Productivity. AIMS Microbiology 3(2): 335-353. Article.
- Ishaq S.L., Wright A-D.G., Moses, P.L. (2016). The pathology of methanogenic archaea in human gastrointestinal disease. In: The Gut Microbiome – Implications for Human Disease. Mozsik, G. (ed.). InTech Open Access. Article.
- St-Pierre, B., Cersosimo, L.M., Ishaq, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. (2015) Toward the identification of methanogenic archaeal groups as targets of methane mitigation in livestock animals. Frontiers in Microbiology 6:776. Article.
- Ishaq S.L., Wright A-D.G. 2015. Terrestrial Vertebrate Animal Metagenomics, Wild Ruminants. In: Highlander, SK, Rodriguez-Valera, F, White, BA. (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Metagenomics: SpringerReference. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. Article.
- Ishaq, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2015. Wild Ruminants. In: Rumen Microbiology – Evolution to Revolution. AK Puniya, R Singh, DN Kamra (eds). Springer India. Pp. 37-45. Article.
- “From host-associated microbiomes to ‘house-associated’ microbiomes.” Institute for Ecology and Evolution, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, Oct 21, 2017.
- “Mapping the Microbial Development of the Dairy Calf Digestive Tract.” Center for Biofilm Engineering, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, Feb 16, 2017.
- “A comparative analysis of the moose rumen microbiota and the pursuit of improving fibrolytic systems.” The Department of Animal Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Mar 19, 2015. The Department of Animal And Range Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, Aug 25, 2015.
- “Metagenomics and identification of cellulolytic bacteria in the rumen of moose.” The Department of Arctic Biology, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway. Jan 13, 2012
- “Metagenomics and identification of cellulolytic bacteria in the rumen of moose.” The Department of Animal Science, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dec 10, 2010, Dec 2, 2011, Nov 9, 2012, Oct 18, 2013.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Seipel, T., Thorton, A.M., Olivo, S., Yeoman, C.J., Menalled, F. D. 2017. Soil bacterial diversity in response to stress from farming system, climate change, weed diversity, and wheat streak virus. Ecological Society of America (ESA), Portland, OR, August 2017.
- Ishaq, S.L.*, O. AlZahal, N. Walker, B. McBride. 2017. Modulation of sub-acute ruminal acidosis by active-dry yeast supplementation and its effect on rumen fungal and protozoal populations in liquid, solid, and epimural fractions. Congress on Gastrointestinal Function, Chicago, IL, April 2017. (accepted talk).
- Perea, K., K. Perz, S. Olivo, A. Williams, M. Lachman, S. Ishaq*, J. Thomson, and C. Yeoman. 2017. Feed efficiency phenotypes in lambs involve changes in ruminal, colonic, and small intestine-located microbiota. Congress on Gastrointestinal Function, Chicago, IL, April 2017.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Bichi, E., Olivo, S.K., Lowe, J., Yeoman, C.J., Aldridge, B M. 2016. Influence of colostrum on the microbiological diversity of the developing bovine intestinal tract. Joint Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, July 2016. (accepted talk)
- Ishaq*, S.L., Yeoman, C.J., Whitney, T.R. 2016. Ground redberry juniper and urea in DDGS-based supplements do not adversely affect ewe lamb rumen microbial communities. Joint Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, July 2016. (accepted talk)
- Ishaq*, S.L., Johnson, S.P., Miller, Z.J., Lehnhoff, E.A., Olivo, S.K., Yeoman, C.J., Menalled, F.D. Farming Systems Modify The Impact Of Inoculum On Soil Microbial Diversity. American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Boston, MA, June 2016.
- Lachman*, M.M., Ishaq, S.L., Swartz, J., Olivo, S.K., Herrygers, M.R., Berardinelli, J.G., Voyich, J.M., Yeoman, C.J. The Intertwined Successional Development of Lamb Gut Microbiota and Immune System. Montana Academy of Sciences annual meeting, Butte, MT, April 2016.
- Zeng*, H., Ishaq, S., Zhao, F.Q., Wright, A.D. 2016. Colonic inflammation and enhanced-beta-catenin signaling accompany an increase of the Lachnospiraceae/Streptococcaceae in the hind gut of high-fat diet-fed mice. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Conference, April, 2016.
- Doyle*, J., Eggers*, M.J., Geddes, J.B., Klassen, J., Ishaq, S.L., Bends, A.L., Eggers, J.A., Not Afraid, A., Old Elk, J., Three Irons, E., Ewing*, S.A. 2015. Investigating sources of water to Chief Plenty Coups Spring: Water chemistry and microbial communities suggest seasonably variable contamination American Water Resources Association conference, Missoula, MT, October 2015.
- Moses, P.L., Ishaq, S.L., Gupta, K., Maurer, S.M., Wright*, A-D.G. 2015. Biodiversity of human gut methanogens varies with concentration of exhaled breath methane. ACG 2015 Annual Scientific Meeting, Honolulu, HI, Oct 2015.
- Duff*, G.C., Ishaq, S.L., Lachman, M., Yeoman, C.J. 2015. Morphological, microbiological, and biochemical development of the ruminant gastrointestinal tract. Joint Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Jul 2015.
- AlZahal*, O., Ishaq, S.L., St-Pierre, B., Wright, A-D.G., McBride, B.W. 2015. Poster: Investigating the impact of dietary changes on rumen microbial community during the transition period in Holstein dairy cows using high-throughput sequencing. J Dairy Sci. 98 (Suppl. 2):735. Joint Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Jul 2015.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Kim, C.J., Wright, A-D.G. 2015. Poster: The effects of administering a fibrolytic probiotic made from moose rumen bacteria to neonatal lambs. Joint Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Jul 2015.
- AlZahal*, O., Ishaq, L., Wright, A-D.G., McBride, B.W. 2014. Poster: Investigating the impact of dietary changes on rumen microbial community during the transition period in Holstein dairy cows. Symposium on Gut Health in production of Food Animals. St. Louis, MO, Nov 2014.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2014. Poster: Fibrolytic bacteria isolated from the rumen of North American moose (Alces alces).” Joint Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO, Jul 2014. Invited to present poster at the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) Presidents’ Pick Poster Session during the ASAS Awards Ceremony.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Reis, D., Lachance, H.M., Wright, A-D.G. 2014. Poster: Streptococcus gallolyticus isolates from the rumen of moose (Alces alces) in Vermont. American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Boston, MA, May 2014.
- Ishaq*, S.L., Wright, A-D.G. 2013. Poster: Investigating the microbiome of the rumen of the moose (Alces alces). FEMS, Leipzig, Germany, Jul 2013.